Concert Artists Fund
Although many grant programs at the Vermont Community Foundation include support of the arts as part of its mission, the Concert Artists Fund is exclusively dedicated to supporting the arts. In 2005, the Concert Artists Fund was created from the estate of Charles Goetz to support performances of classical music in Chittenden County.
The Concert Artist Fund switched to a two year grant cycle in 2016. Grants awarded will be for two years of funding distributed in two equal annual payments, conditional on receipt of a successful first year report and confirmed plans to continue presenting qualified work in the coming year.
What We Fund
These grants support organizations that present performances of classical music in Chittenden County. Funds are limited to the support of public performances and cannot support music education or other programs.
Applications to the Concert Artists Fund will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Funds will support performances of classical music in Chittenden County
- Artistic quality, as demonstrated in work samples
- Capacity of the organization to present the performance(s) for which funds are requested
- Clear plan to ensure that the performance(s) will be open to the public and attended by a broad audience, including underserved populations
- Reasonable and appropriate budget and demonstrated ability to raise the funds needed for the project
The fund appreciates opportunities to support collaborations or unique partnerships resulting in excellent programming.
What We Don't Fund
The Concert Artist Fund will not support:
- Arts education programs *
- Art for religious purposes
- Capital campaigns or debt reduction
- Expenses that have already been incurred
- Events that occur before grants are awarded
*A note on art education programs: the Vermont Community Foundation recognizes that art education programs for youth and adults are a critical component of the life-long learning that helps create healthy and vital Vermont communities. The Foundation will consider art education programs through several grant programs, including Spark! Connecting Community and many of our regional programs such as the Walter Cerf Fund, the Green Mountain Fund, and the Northeast Kingdom Fund.
Who May Apply
All applicants to programs at the Vermont Community Foundation must meet these guidelines.
Up to $20,000 over two years, up to $10,000 per year. The average grant size is $5,500 for a one year grant cycle.
Deadline and Notification
Due to Covid-related uncertainty regarding public gatherings and performances, the Concert Artists Fund will continue to make general operating grants to preselected existing grantees in 2021 and 2022. We anticipate restarting the two-year competitive grants process in 2023.
For reference click here to view or download the application questions.